Meet Sanuki Morris!

Last week in Kagawa, I asked the members of Sanuki Morris a few questions...

Aya  
[Aya Akiyama]

How long have you been involved in morris dancing?

I started in 2013. There was a local festival here in Shogisho and Angela and I were talking about playing and dancing some tunes for the festival. We decided, let's start morris! I played the accordion and Angela danced, just outside the community centre.

How did you come to be interested in morris dancing?

Actually I had never seen morris dancing before Angela introduced me, but before that Angela and I played Irish music together. When I was 19 and 20 years old I visited Ireland twice and I stayed mainly in local towns and villages in County Clare. I loved the countryside so much. I loved the music and dance in the countryside. I was so attracted to morris dancing because these dances are also performed in small villages and towns and I feel very familiar with the atmosphere.

Do you have a favourite dance?

For dancing, I love 'None So Pretty'—this is the only jig I can do!—and for the tunes, I love 'Princess Royal'. It is a lovely tune!

What do Japanese audiences make of your performances?

Many Japanese people are interested in Celtic music and almost everybody knows the songs, 'Greensleeves' and 'Scarborough Fair'. I think they really enjoy watching us because we have unique costumes and hats, waistcoats and bell pads. And folk dancing is easy to look at. Most people enjoy our dancing. 

Angela

[Angela Fukutome]

What is the best thing about morris dancing?

It's just so very English and I love to see people's faces when we walk past in kit, jingling loudly! It's very rare for any of our audience to have even heard of morris.

What is your favourite dance?
My favourite dance is 'None So Pretty'—I still love dancing jigs! It's such a charming little dance with all its courtesies and kisses!

What is your favourite place to have performed with Sanuki Morris?

Probably Yamanami Art Festival because it's where we started.

What do Japanese people think about morris dancing?

They are always kind and smile and clap. Japanese are always very curious to hear about British culture.

Kazuyo

 [Kazuyo Higashitsutsumi]

How long have you been morris dancing? 

Since about four years ago, almost at the beginning [of Sanuki Morris]. Firstly Angela and Aya-san started. I watched it on Facebook and said, 'oh I want to do it! Please teach me!'. I'm interested in folk dance...English, Irish, Scottish. When I was a child I watched some programmes on TV and I wanted to dance, but I didn't know where I could learn it. Now I have found a space to dance!

What is your favourite dance?

'Tinner's Rabbit'. Also 'Happy Man' and 'Oyster Girl'.

What is your favourite thing about morris dancing? 

I like dancing. I enjoy dancing together with everybody. When we complete dances together, I feel perfect!

What do you think Japanese audiences think of morris dancing?

Maybe they enjoy watching it, but it's not famous in Japan. Almost nobody knows it. But I know it! I hope to keep on dancing.

Karen

[Karen Nishida]

What inspired you to join Sanuki Morris?

Angela and I are good friends and she was interested in it. She said, 'please look at this on YouTube' and I thought, 'oh that looks like fun!'. I have to confess I had seen that sort of dance on 'Monty Python' before! She said, 'do you want to try it?' and I said 'sure!'. It was something very different and something new to try. Most of the time I do aerobics and all sorts of things like that, but this was a social thing, not just sitting down to have coffee and talk. That's important here for us foreigners in Kagawa, I think. 

Do you have a favourite dance?

I like them all! I like 'Oyster Girl'—that's fun. The ones with the sticks are, I think, the most fun. I have a few problems with my knees and feet so a little bit of hopping kind of hurts sometimes so I like the ones with the sticks.

Tell me about the performances you have done...

We have performed at a number of festivals around Takamatsu and Zentsūji. We mostly perform in the spring and summer and it is hot and humid! We've also done a couple of performances in a very high-end department store! They have a European festival in the spring.

Keiko
 [Keiko Tanimoto]

What made you interested in joining Sanuki Morris? 

One of my friends had already joined and she asked me to join too. I like to dance so I came here! I go to the gym and take some dance lessons there, but morris is my first experience of performing. It is complicated and I can't remember very well.

What's the best thing about doing morris dancing?

Getting to know each other well! We talk a lot, yes!

What do Japanese people make of your performances with Sanuki Morris?

They don't know morris dancing well, I think. I also didn't know about morris dancing [until I joined Sanuki Morris]. I want Japanese people to know more about it, because it is easy compared to other dancing. I hope it prevails here.

Have you ever tried Japanese dancing?

Japanese dancing? No [laughs].


***

You can read more about Sanuki Morris here (https://morrisdancinginjapan.blogspot.jp/2018/02/morris-workshop-in-kagawa.html

Comments

Popular Posts