Meet Grand Hama Morris!

I asked the members of Grand Hama Morris a few questions...

Yuko
[Yuko Oishi and Maki Koizumi]

How did you begin to play music for morris dancing? 
In 2003 my child went to kindergarten, where I met Maki and Tomo. At the kindergarten Christmas party I played hymns on the violin, and as a result of this Maki invited me to join her band, 'A Drop of Good Beer' (see https://www.facebook.com/A-Drop-of-Good-Beer-493307624182894/). I listened to a lot of morris dance music (e.g. Ashley Hutchings and 'Morris On', Spiers and Boden, Chris Wood and Andy Cutting, The English Country Band, etc.). From the beginning I wanted to make a dance team. I was involved in the launch of Grand Hama Morris in 2015. 

What is the best thing about morris dancing?
When Grand Hama first formed, the dancing and the music did not match. As we repeatedly practiced and performed out, they came to fit. I really like the sense of unity at that time. I like playing music for live dance performances very much!

Which is your favourite place that Grand Hama Morris have performed?
We have danced in various places and every place was fun! For example, the road in front of Yoneyama mansion, Atsugi Tsutsujigaoka Park and Sumida-ku Beerfest.

What do you think Japanese people feel about morris dancing?
I tried asking families who actually saw our performances and dances! Examples include 'a dance for people to enjoy the harvest', 'a traditional old-fashioned dance' and 'a dance that young people gather and enjoy together'. 

Because contemporary Japanese music is often synthesised / electro-mechanical, many musicians who play live—such as for morris dancing—think that traditional Japanese music should return.

Rika
[Rika Fukuda]

When did you begin morris dancing?
10th June 2017! I watched Maki and Tomo dancing in April 2017 at a small gathering of traditional music lovers. I was there to play accompaniment for an Irish ceili dance as I have also been doing modern-style Irish step dancing for a long time. I found that morris dancing was a sort of figure dancing and enjoyed Maki and Tomo's performance. So I attended their monthly practice for the first time in June. The more dancers the better, I guess! I can't remember the first time I heard about morris dancing–it could be from an English story book.

What is the best thing about morris dancing?
It is good exercise for both my body and brain! As I have a background in Irish dance, I like that morris dancing uses not only the legs and feet but also the arms and hands.

Do you have a favourite dance?
Upton-upon-Severn, because it is like sword fighting. Each dancer can add a little extra, so that it looks more fierce! Some of our members batter each other during the chorus!


What do you think Japanese people understand about morris dancing?
Most Japanese people have never heard of morris dancing I think. For the rest, like me before I saw Maki and Tomo for the first time, it might seem like an English traditional dance for elderly men.

Tomo
[Tomo Koizumi]

How did you learn about morris dancing?
When I was 6 years old I saw morris dancing at a folk festival in England.

What is the best place you have performed?
Sidmouth Folk Festival where I danced with Hammersmith Morris Men. I was impressed with that!

How do Japanese audiences respond to your performances with Grand Hama Morris?
Many Japanese people cannot understand morris dancing. Few people are interested. But I thank my parents! When I was a child I know I was not interested in morris either, and as a teenager I began to learn hip-hop dance. My father said, 'be a morris dancer!'. After a few years I came to love morris dance and I quit hip-hop. I wanted to make our team in Japan and support many morris dancers in England.

Do you have any hopes for the future of your dancing?
I was glad to see Hammersmith Morris Men, Great Western Morris and Fool's Gambit in 2015 at Sidmouth Folk Week. I respect them very much. I am deaf but I am happy to dance morris. I want to be the best morris dancer in Japan and I will do my best!

Chiyo and Ryo
[Chiyo Asano]

[Ryo Asano]

When did you first begin morris dancing? 
Both: In June 2016.
Ryo: Mr and Mrs Koizumi invited me to join Grand Hama Morris at a pub session.
Chiyo: I went along to the Grand Hama Morris practice with my husband.

What is the best thing about morris dancing?
Chiyo: It's fun when I'm jumping!

Do you have a favourite dance?
Both: Valentine!

What is your favourite place to perform?
Chiyo: My first time at a beer festival because the audience looked so happy!
Ryo: I like dancing in the open air, like in Sagamihara and the park in Isehara...

Maki
[Masayoshi and Maki Koizumi]

How did you learn about morris dancing?
My friend Eiichi Yoneyama told us that he attempted to make a team in Isehara in 1993. The team danced once and was quickly dissolved.

What is the best thing about morris dancing?
I can enjoy English folk music with my deaf daughter.

Do you have a favourite dance? 
Upton Upon Severn Stick Dance

What do you think Japanese people feel about morris dancing?  
Japanese people know many things about England but Morris Dance is mysterious.


Comments

Popular Posts